Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

Finding the positive in Atheism

Tonight I was told that instead of focusing on my "hatred" for Christians I should focus on whats positive about Atheism. What is not understood is that I do not hate Christians but I do completely disagree with their beliefs. I feel that everyone has the right to practice any religion they should choose to practice, however, what I do not agree with is when they use their religion to force laws that effect the entire country. Not everyone in this country follows the Christianity. There are Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, and many other faiths living within our boarders and I do not agree with one religion shoving their beliefs down the throats of everyone else. Along with the above mentioned beliefs are many nonbelievers, free thinkers, Atheists and Agnostics who do not believe in a God, yet everyone is expected to live according to Christian beliefs.

So about the positivity of Atheism; if you were to ask anyone who is not an Atheist about the positivity of Atheism and they would tell you that there isnt anything postive about them. Most people who are not familur with Atheism would tell you that they are Satan worshipers. This is absolutely wrong. The word Atheist means without the belief in God/Gods. Theist means belief in a deity. "A" mean without...therefore Atheist means without belief in a God. What most people do not realize is that everyone has some sort of Atheism within them. If you are a Christian, most likely you do not believe in the Muslim God Allah. If this is true, you are an Atheist as far as Allah is concerned. So, the only difference between you and me is I believe in one less God than you. Atheism is very positive although most believers and those who do not understand Atheism does not realize this. All they see is what they feel to be an attack against Christianity. Athiest fight very hard for the equal rights of ALL people. Atheist feel that every living person has the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Atheists believe that no person should be criticized because of their age, sex, race or sexual orientation. They believe that EVERYONE should be treated equally and become upset when someone uses their faith to judge anyone who does not share in their beliefs.

I know that Atheism has a very negative connotation attached to it, the thought of Atheism scared the hell out of me as a Christian, but over the years of study I've come to appreciate all that Atheism has contributed to society. If you are reading this and you are a believer in any God I implore you to seek answers before placing judgement. You just might be surprised to find that you have more in common than you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment